French Polynesia



I traveled recently to the islands of Tahiti, Huahine, Raiatea, Tahaa, and Bora Bora for work. During my free time, I had my camera out, shooting video and taking photos. In my experience, the islands are a beautiful place, but what truly made it beautiful for me was the people. They are so very welcoming, friendly, and hospitable. I flew from island to island (except for Tahaa - you can only get there by boat) and noticed that there was no security at the airports on Raiatea, Huahine, and Bora Bora. No metal detectors and no pat-downs. The Tahitian people (or "te mau taata maohi" as some prefer) are very peaceful.

I always stay in hotels when I travel, but when I arrived on Huahine (by boat), my contact there informed me that all of the rooms in the one hotel on the island were booked, and asked if I would be willing to stay at their home for the night. I happily accepted the offer and truly enjoyed that experience. Although I was only with them for about 24 hours, I was grateful to catch a glimpse of how they live. Drinking out of coconuts, eating off the land (various things), bathing with only a gallon of water, no electricity - an experience that I will never forget and always cherish.

0 comments:

Post a Comment